Thursday, August 28, 2008

A time to reflect...

My mom's oldest sister, Linda Louise O'Rear Bosworth, passed away on Friday, August 22nd. She battled PSP (Progressive Supranuclear Palsy http://psp.org/) for a few years before her untimely death at 59 years old. I was fortunate enough to be able to make the trip to Michigan for her funeral yesterday (a world of thanks goes out to Ms. BJL) and might I say the memorial service was amazing... full of love and wonderful stories. My Aunt Linda was so fun and vibrant and an absolutely amazing mother. My cousin Laurel has a great "Top 20" post that she created last year on her mom's 58th birthday:
Here's a "Top 20" list of things I have learned about and loved most about my mom, and perhaps some of them only she will remember:
1. I loved it when she would come to my elementary school to eat lunch at my table.

2. She made the best car and flower suckers (cinnamon and watermelon flavor) with tootsie roll centers.
3. She would let me hide behind her and constantly cling to her leg for most of my childhood because I was painfully shy.
4. She was extra careful to not yank my hair when brushing the tangles out.
5. She taught me one of my most valued lessons about telling the truth when I broke her Precious Moments statue. I was 9 and it's clear as a bell everything she told me.
6. She didn't get mad at me (not that I remember at least) when I cut my brother's hair (Kevin) and then said to her, "That'll be 3 dollars, ma'am."
7. She always made-do with what we had. She invented many barbie pools and play times with tupperware.
8. When we moved to Germany, I loved that my mom 'showed no fear.' She jumped right in to the culture and had a tutor to learn German- she learned it so fast.
9. She loved to play jokes on us- like jerking the car forward just as we were about to drink a bottle of water... that was her favorite.
10. She came to my games in high school and cheered so loud.
11. She was friends with my friends- they loved her.
12. I loved going to the 'American Theatre' and watching movies with her...we saw "Scream" together- we literally screamed and were so embarassed!
13. I loved watching my guy friends be so surprised when my mom could talk sports with them- she knew all the teams, the players, what was happening, etc.
14. I loved sleeping in mom's bed when dad was out of town- one night I caught her snoring and played a trick on her that made her snore louder...we laughed so hard, this is definitely one that only mom will remember!!
15. She was the best hair colorist in town (right Kev?)
16. She was always, always on time. If we were ever late, it wasn't her fault.
17. For our sports trips, she would leave AFTER our bus left and get there BEFORE we did. She was a fast driver.
18. She tried to drive on sidewalks for about a year after we came back from Germany- does anyone else remember this?
19. She knows good music.
20. She was the most selfless person I've ever known.

Personally, what I remember most about my Aunt Linda was her laugh. The memory of her laugh is even more distinct to me than her speaking voice... I guess that is a window into her personality... she spent a lot of time having fun and loving life and laughing.

Special thanks to La-la for the pictures and the great memories.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Yea!! I am so glad you've joined the blogging world :-) and I'll love the random-ness of your posts. I really loved your write up...she was and is an amazing woman.

laurel said...

Lil~ thank you so much for the reminder...I had forgotten that I posted that last year. Those two pictures are classic- the first one I was on her dresser for as long as I can remember (h.s. grad pic) and the other- it was the beginning of the school year and we were making book covers out of paper bags for my textbooks...did you ever make those? Such fun times.

Soooo happy you have a blog- I can't wait to be "updated"...and by that I mean what's hip and in style because you, girl, have got "it"! :)Love you! La

Kelly said...

Hey Lil -

Love your blog! It was so good to have the chance to sit and talk together while we were both in Michigan. I really love and admire you. I truly mean it when I say I hope that my own girl will "grow up" to be as amazing as you and your sisters are. It was good to read your reflections about Mom, and to re-read La's thoughts. (Nice pic of the cute BF sista) I'll keep checking in on you for sure. I love the artistic feel and format of your blog. Hang in there with work and I know we'll both keep tabs on each other. I LOVE you sweetie - take care! Kelly